Wednesday, July 11, 2012

10 Days & Counting . . .

The countdown has officially begun.  Slightly more than a week, too soon to taper, too late to make any significant changes; the work is 'done' and it's officially time to get ready for the Canadian Duathlon Championships at the Toronto Triathlon Festival on July 22, 2012. 

My first Olympic Duathlon e v e r  was Canadian Du Champs in Kananaskis, AB in 2000.  At 18 years of age I was competing alongside 2012 Olympians Simon Whitfield and Brent McMahon - both absolutely awesome dudes.  Our paths have crossed multiple times over the years at National and World Championship qualifier events.  With Simon being at my first race on my journey 'back' - 12 years later - it adds a few butterflies.  Simon said his dad always says, "don't to get rid of them (butterflies),  make them fly in formation" - guess that's what keeps him crossing the line first :)

With Tour de France on TV, the 2012 London Olympic Games just a few weeks away, (the St. George Station Subway Station) there's some great motivation for training and pushing your limits.  However, I haven't "raced" for six years... Do I remember what this feels like?  Can I run MY race?  Only time will tell.

The above photo is the cover of the Toronto Triathlon Festival website. Just in case you needed some motivation to kick your own butt in gear. This photo - is Simon Whitfield: CAN - doing his classic, come from behind sprint victory at the Hy-Vee Olympic Triathlon Challenge in 2010.  I'd be that excited if I won $200k as well! (just without the muscles or long hair)

No comments:

Post a Comment