Friday, July 20, 2012

Race Day Hydration Prep

Well, here we are - 34 hours from race start and its time to get the nutrition ready for the Toronto Triathlon Festival.  For the last three weeks I've been experimenting with my temperature and nutrition a little and have been learning, and subsequently feel I'm getting somewhere.

In always wanting to learn more about operating my nutrition more efficiently, I turn to the experts, and then conduct my own tests.  Dr. Allen Lim, founder of Skratch Labs,  is regarded as a distance nutrition expert and I've been trying to glean from a few things he publishes.  This video looks at how some of us try to take in too many calories via hydration.



Taking this new found info in mind that crates an 80 calories of powder to 500ml of water is good for the egg, I've been devising my own lower calorie yet efficient drink mix.


Base - 400ml filtered water
Carbs - 250ml organic apple juice
(Approximately 120 calories)
1/2 teaspoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon pure Canadian Maple Syrup
1/2 teaspoon organic sea salt
Combine, stir, freeze.

Now I understand "frozen" drinks on the bike can be bad, however, with finding the cool = lower heart rate, I'm still experimenting.  I haven't cramped, bonked, or gotten slower since running with ice, so I'm going to take the plunge and try it on race day!

Time for bed, only two more sleeps to go.

2 comments:

  1. I think Apple Juice is my secret weapon. Even though it's sticky if it splashes on your bike, it's light and refreshing and makes you feel like a super hero.

    ReplyDelete